August 5, 2009

I Just Want to Be Successful...

I love this song...I could do without the reference to hoes...but I still love it.

Success is always on my mind. I'm college-educated and in a career field that pays well over time. On the flip side of that, I am also a single mother doing it completely on my own. In most cases, I ignore statistics because I know that they can be heavily manipulated, but it is always a nagging thought in the back of my mind that something like 70% of children living in single parent homes live in poverty.

True or not, it's all the motivation I need.

And everyone has their own definition of success, but for me it means advancing in my career (my goal is to become a Compensation Director), owning a home, being financially stable (the six month emergency fund, 700+ credit, and funding my daughter's college savings plan), and having the money to travel and splurge on some of the things that I want in life.

I spent all of today thinking about these things. When will I begin graduate school? MBA or JD? I have a slight interest in possibly working in employment law. What will my FICO score be in six months? Where should I keep my emergency fund money and exactly how much should it be?


Sometimes this drives me crazy. At 30, I think that I am on the right track. There is no doubt in my mind that I will achieve my goals, it's just a matter of when and how rocky the road will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment