December 8, 2009

A Thankful Heart

A couple of weeks ago I ran across a devotional from Joyce Meyer that really resonated with me and I thought I would share. I have been guilty of constantly wanting new things. It's not that I'm not thankful for what I have, it's just that I always want more or to upgrade what I have. Don't get me wrong, I am thankful and recognize that I am extremely blessed to be able to take care of myself and my daughter comfortably and with no stress...because it was not always like that. I just get anxious about the material things that I want in life. At any rate, this devotional was refreshing and a reality check and I thought someone might need the same:

A Thankful Heart

Do not fret or have any anxiety about anything, but in every circumstance and in everything, by prayer and petition (definite requests), with thanksgiving, continue to make your wants known to God.
— Philippians 4:6

Years ago I taught a message saying that when you ask God for something, you should thank Him ahead of time that you are going to get it because that will help release your manifestation. I believe that. I took the scripture above to mean just that, that when I prayed for something, I should start thanking God that it was on its way. But one day God revealed a broader scope of that verse to me. He said, "No, what I am really saying there is that when you pray and petition Me for anything, make sure you are doing it from a foundation of a thankful heart." Then He went on to say, "If you are not thankful for what you already have, why should I give you more to complain about?"

~ Joyce Meyer

2 comments:

  1. "If you are not thankful for what you already have, why should I give you more to complain about?"

    This was meant for me:)

    ReplyDelete