November 24, 2009

You Never Know What's In Store

As we approach the end of the year, I have been thinking back to where I was a year ago. At this time last year I was newly unemployed with absolutely no job prospects in sight. This was during the time that all you heard about on the news was how X company laid off 15,000 employees or how 600,00 jobs were lost this month. The outlook was so grim and in my case I was a single mom (still am), unemployed, and had to figure out how to manage through all of it.

For whatever reason, I knew in my heart that everything would be alright. Some of my co-workers who had managed to keep their jobs expressed concern for me, which I appreciate and of course understood, and some even asked if I had considered moving back home with my mother, which I had not.

I knew that God had already delivered me from a tough circumstance about 4 months earlier and just felt that going back down that road was not what he had in store for me. I had been in debt and struggling to pay my daughter's $600/month childcare expense. I fell into the category of making too much to qualify for daycare assistance but not enough to really afford it. At the time of my layoff, that situation was already behind me and I felt in my heart that it was time for a blessing...

And that is exactly what I got.

First, my company offered me a nice severance package and allowed me to draw unemployment at the same time. I had already withdrawn my daughter from daycare because I was now at home, so that expense had already gone away. This meant that for the first few months I had more money than what I would have had if I was working. Who would have ever thought that being unemployed could be financially beneficial LOL.

Secondly, I was at home with my daughter each and every day. Looking back I am so thankful for the time that we had together over those months.

And lastly, once I returned to work I was able to land a new job in my career field. I had always planned that once I stopped working for the HR consulting firm that I would pursue a job as a Compensation Analyst in the general industry and that is exactly where I landed.

The point of this story my friends is to never doubt the power of God and the blessings and plan that he has in store for you.

Be Blessed!

Note: this post was initially planned to be about being happy where you are, but once I started to write it just went in a totally different direction. I'll circle back to the original post at a later time.

No comments:

Post a Comment